Q. What are some popular topics for papers? How can I choose a topic to write about?
If you're trying to select a topic to write about, be sure the topic you select:
- Matches the assignment.
- For example, if you're to write a process paper for English composition, be sure your topic is an actual process someone can do. That's a different type of topic than what you would choose for an informative/expository paper in which you'd explain about something or inform your reader.
- Will allow you to fulfill all required elements of the assignment.
- Required length
- Required number and types of sources
- Specific sections, such as application or evaluation or comparison
- Is something about which you are interested in learning.
- It does not need to be a topic on which you're already well informed. The purpose of college is for you to learn new things, so let your writing assignments help you to do just that!
- Is something for which you can find credible sources of information.
- Your sources should shape and support your theories, arguments, or conclusions.
- Personal opinions need to be supported with facts and statistics. Otherwise, you're just an opinionated person rather than a well-informed writer.
Which topics are "popular" for papers depends greatly on the actual assignments. Use the following resources to get some topic ideas:
Was this helpful? 4 3