Q. What is a summary? How do I write one?
A summary is a brief description of the main points of a work written in "your own words."
Follow these steps to create a summary:
- Read the work thoroughly. It is important that you understand the material before attempting to write a summary.
- Take notes--in your own words-- as you read. TIP: Notice headings and other written clues that point out information that is most important.
- Review your notes and underline or highlight the major points made in the work.
- Review your notes again and identify information that supports the major points made in the work.
- Write a brief description of the major points in your own words.
Was this helpful? 4 1