Q. What is the study cycle?
The study cycle is a great study method to follow as you prepare for your exams. It allows you to "chunk" the information into more manageable pieces for better engagement and retention.
Step One: Preview (done before class)
- Skim the chapter
- Look for bold words, headings, review chapter objectives
- Note questions
Step Two: Attend
- Go to class and ask questions
- Take meaningful notes
Step Three: Review within 24 hours
- Review and rework notes from class
- Helps transfer information from long-term to short-term memory
Step Four: Study using intensive study sessions. Repeat the process below 3-5 times per day.
Step Five: Assess
- What questions remain?
- Are your study methods effective?
- Can I teach this material to others?
LSU Center for Academic Success. (n.d.). Incorporating the study cycle into instruction. Retrieved from http://cas.lsu.edu/incorporating-study-cycle-instruction