I need to write a 5-paragraph essay. What does that mean and how do I go about doing that?
Paragraph 1: Introduction
- Introduce your topic, interest the reader, and make the last sentence your thesis statement.
Paragraphs 2-4: Body
- All paragraphs should have a topic sentence that relates to your thesis statement
- Back up your topic sentence with examples or evidence that support your thesis statement
Paragraph 5: Conclusion
Summarize your main points
- Re-assert your thesis statement
- The reader should know your argument by reading the introduction and conclusion.
- Make sure to cite resources from your readings that identify how it relates to your thesis.
A paragraph is about 5 to 7 sentences in length.
Find additional information about this topic in the Writing Guide.
Was this helpful? 20 10