Q. I need to find information on a global leader and his/her leadership style. I need to compare it to a common American leadership style.
Identifying the Leader
To find biographical information and articles that might include information about a leader's leadership style, the leader needs to be well-known. Thus, it is important to pick a leader who is a leader of a large corporation or who has been in the spotlight, so to speak.
- Hint 1: Fortune/Money Magazine publishes a "Global 500" list each year that ranks the world's largest corporations. They normally break down the list by location so you can pick a company not headquartered in the USA. Idea: pick a CEO or president of a Global 500 company.
- Hint 2: Start with the eBook 1000 CEOs and pick your leader that way! This reference work includes excellent biographies of leaders from all over the world.
Finding Biographical and Leadership Style Information
- Search for your leader in a basic biography database or reference book such as 1000 CEOs to find biographical materials. Sometimes you will find your leader sometimes you will not. Do not get discouraged.
- Search for articles about your leader in business and general education databases. If you get good results searching your leader's name, add in the words "leadership" or "style" to limit your results to something specific to their leadership style. Suggested databases include:
- Note that it is possible that you will not find an article specifically about your leader's leadership style. It is your job to find articles about the leader and read between the lines to identify his or her leadership style.