Q. What is a curriculum vitae and how do I write one?
I have been asked to create one for my nursing course.
What is a curriculum vitae?
A curriculum vitae (CV) is a a detailed and comprehensive account of your credentials, expertise, and accomplishments. It summarizes your qualifications and professional journey.
What is the difference between a resume and a CV?
|No more than 1-2 pages||Can be many pages|
Education and employment accomplishments
|Include much more information|
|Used for typical jobs||Typically used to apply for academic or scholarly positions|
What should I include in my CV?
The most recent information for any of these sections should be listed first.
- Personal information
- Contact information
- Highest earned degree
- Any state-level designation for advanced practice
- Professional certifications
- Honorary credentials
- Academic degrees earned by year and institution (list the last degree you earned first and your first degree last). Include the areas of study and any academic distinctions earned)
- Do not include a GPA
- Current Licensure and Certifications
- Non-academic licenses like state and professional certifications
- No numbers are needed
- Honors and Awards
- List the name of the award, the year it was earned, the awarding organization, and the location
- If it is not a well-known organization or award, provide a brief summary of the organization and award
- Career Experiences
- Teaching experiences
- List courses taught including course name and number, year taught, program, credits, and level
- Limit this list to a certain time period if you teach every semester
- Research experience
- List each study by year, your role, name of the study, and location
- Include information relevant to the grant provided for you to conduct the research
- Clinical experience
- List clinical job experiences
- Include years, job title, type of care
- Teaching experiences
- Include all publications in this section
- Use an APA citation for each publication
- List each presentation by date, title, location, and type
- Include the scope of the presentation (local, national, international)
- Service/Professional Memberships
Do you have any other resources I can use to write my CV?
- How to write your curriculum vitae
- How to write the perfect CV
- Medical CV healthcheck: The recruiter's guide on how to avoid CV mistakes
Kawar, L., Dunbar, G, & Scruth, E.A. (2017). Creating a credible and ethical curriculum vitae. Clinical Nurse Specialist, 31(6), 298-303. https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&AuthType=ip,shib&db=rzh&AN=125838633&site=eds-live&custid=s9076023