Q. How do I make a video of a PowerPoint presentation using Screencast-O-Matic?
Screencast-O-Matic is a free screen capture tool that you can use to make video recordings with your computer. Follow these simple steps to create a recording of a PowerPoint presentation OR watch this video demonstration:
Note: Screencast-O-Matic has an app, too. You can learn more information here: https://screencast-o-matic.com/channel/ios-app
To get started with the desktop version of Screencast-O-Matic you will need:
- a computer
- headset with a microphone or a microphone built into your computer
- a webcamera (only if your assignment asks for you to have your camera on)
- completed PowerPoint slide deck
1. Navigate to Screencast-O-Matic at http://screencast-o-matic.com/home
2. Click on the "Start Recording" button. (Tip: Watch the short video that introduces the tool before starting your recording.)
3. Next, click the "Launch" button that appears at the top of the next page and follow the prompts.
4. Once the recorder has launched, you will see a frame and a box with tools.
5. Display the first slide in your PowerPoint presentation and position the frame to fit what you want captured in your video. You can resize the frame by grabbing and moving the edges of the frame or you can click, hold, and move the frame with the tool in the center of the frame.
6. Next, test your microphone by speaking into your mic and watching the bars to the right of narration. Green, yellow, and red bars should illuminate if the audio is working properly. (Tip: Click on the arrow next to the microphone icon and select the microphone that you are using from the list that appears and test audio again.)
7. WebCam Option: Refer back to your assignment instructions to see if you are required to record yourself and your screen.
Select one of the following options:
- Screen – This allows you to record anything within the recording frame. You can adjust the size of the recording frame by choosing a preset size or drag and drop the frame to your desired size.
- Both – This option allows you to show your webcam AND your screen at the same time. This is often used when you want to point out something on your screen but still have your webcam up.
Screen and webcam view – This will show your webcam and screen at the same time.
For tips, using your webcamera, refer here:
8. Now you are ready to record! Click on the red Record button in the lower left corner of the screen to begin the recording. You will be given a three second countdown before recording begins.
9. Click on the blue pause button in the lower left corner to stop or pause recording. (Tip: Consider recording in "chunks" by recording a segment, pausing the recording to move to the next slide, and resuming the recording by clicking on the red record button again.)
10. When you have completed your recording, click the blue pause button, then click Done.
11. The final step is to upload your video to Screencast-O-Matic. Click into the box in the upper left corner to name your video. Then click the button "Upload to Screencast-O-Matic" in the lower left to access the link to your video.
12. Once the video has uploaded, you will be given an option to copy the link to your video. Click on the "Copy Link" button once your video has been uploaded, open a document, right click and paste the link to the document to keep a record of the video link.
Consult Screencast-O-Matic instructional videos for more information.