Chat with the Rasmussen Library
Submit a Question
Answered By: Suzanne Schriefer, Criminal Justice & Paralegal Librarian Last Updated: Mar 07, 2016 Views: 213
If you are trying to cite a state statute in APA style, please consult the Legal Materials page in the APA Guide.
Paralegal course assignments often require legal resources to be cited in The Bluebook or ALWD Guide to Legal Citation styles. Cornell University Law School's Legal Information Institute (LII) includes "Introduction to Basic Legal Citation" by Peter W. Martin a recommended resource that provides examples and explanations of citations for a variety of legal resources.
Follow these instructions to find examples of legal citations for state statutes and Constitutions:
1. Link to the LII Basic Legal Citation page at https://www.law.cornell.edu/citation/
2. Click on the link "Examples--Citations of" on the left side of the page.
3. Next, click on the link "Constitutions & Statutes" on the left side of the page.
4. Scroll down to the section "State Statute Citation" and click on the state of interest.
5. View examples of legal citations for state statutes and Constitutions.