Answered By: Kristie Keuntjes, Learning Services Coordinator Last Updated: Sep 17, 2018 Views: 1778
What is a professional letter?
Professional letters are often used to communicate with a group outside an organization such as clients, customers, or other companies.
What are the steps to take before writing a professional letter?
- Research the facts
- It is important for you to plan what you want to talk about before writing the letter
- Jot down some key facts you want to include in your letter
- Know your audience
- To whom are you writing?
- Why are you writing the letter?
- Determine your objectives
- What do you want to accomplish by writing the letter?
- How do you want the reader to react?
What are the components of a professional letter?
- Your return address
- The recipient's address
- A greeting
- The Body (the content of the letter)
- A closing (such as "sincerely")
- Both your handwritten signature and your name typed
What should I keep in mind while writing a professional letter?
- Be sure to use clear, concise language
- Be direct
- Do not use too technical terms - write in language the reader will understand
- Be mindful of tone
- Direct the focus of the letter on the reader
- Keep letters short and to the point
- Be sure to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling
Do you have any examples of professional letters?
Here are two examples of professional letters:
To access information about writing letters in our eBook databases, search for "business letter", "letter writing", "professional letter", or a specific type of letter (i.e. "cover letter"), in the following databases:
Some examples include (click on the cover to read/view):
Seglin, J. & Coleman, E. (2012). The AMA handbook of business letters (4th ed.) Retrieved from http://proquest.safaribooksonline.com.ezproxy.rasmussen.edu/book/communications/writing/9780814420126/cover/coverid?uicode=rasmussen