Chat with the Rasmussen Library
Submit a Question
Answered By: Kate Anderson, Business Librarian Last Updated: May 18, 2017 Views: 1946
There are many ways you can create audio/sound recordings. Here are a few of the most popular methods.
Record on your computer:
If you have a microphone on your computer, here are 3 options (PowerPoint, Sound Recorder, and Audacity):
1. In your PowerPoint presentation, select: Insert --> Audio --> Record Audio
2. Name the recording
3. Press the record button to begin recording.
4. Press the stop button to finalize the recording.
5. Press the play button to listen to your recording.
6. Press OK to insert the recording into your PowerPoint. You will notice a speaker/recording icon now appears within your slideshow. Click on it to move it and/or play the recording.
7. Remember to save your PowerPoint!
Detailed instructions for inserting audio into a PowerPoint
Sound Recorder/Voice Recorder
Sound Recorder is both an app and a desktop application for Windows computers. Search your computer for Sound Recorder (or Voice Recorder if you have Windows 10). It can often be found in the start menu, under accessories.
Detailed instructions for recording using Sound Recorder
Detailed instructions for recording using Voice Recorder
Audacity is a free downloadable audio software for Windows, Mac, and GNU/Linux operating systems. Learn more about Audacity.
Record on your smartphone
If you don’t have a microphone on your computer, or if you find it easier, use your smartphone to record. There are many options on your smartphone for creating a recording - and options vary depending on the type of phone you have, its operating system, and apps. Often the simplest method is to:
1. Open a new text message.
2. Press the record button to record your voice.
3. Send the audio text to your email account.
4. The text will show up in your email account, along with a file of your recording. Save that file to your computer.
**If these instructions do not work for your phone, try Googling the type of phone you have along with "audio recording" to find additional instructions, for example "iPhone 7" and "audio recording".
If you have additional questions about recording audio, please contact the Personal Support Center [PSC]:
Call: (866) 693-2211