Answered By: Kate Anderson, Business Librarian Last Updated: Jan 28, 2019 Views: 5189
Writing an effective business report is an important part of communicating well as a business professional. A few key steps for writing business reports include:
1. Determine the purpose of the report - What are the important messages you are trying to convey?
2. Define and understand the audience for the report
3. Determine and follow the structure for your report
4. While writing the report, you typically should:
- utilize headings and subheadings
- use plain language (avoid professional jargon)
- write clearly and professionally
- use negative/white space wisely
- use appropriate fonts
- number your pages for ease of use
- use tables and figures only when it adds to the report and properly place these items into your report (does your instructor want you to follow APA guidelines?)
Please review the following resources for more information about writing professional business reports. If you are looking for sample business reports, the last link below will bring you to some sample reports, or you can conduct a Google search for "sample business reports").
How to Write it: Business Plans and Reports (scroll down to the section on “The Formal Report”)
Sample Reports (from an eBook titled Writing a Report: How to Prepare, Write and Present Really Effective Reports)