Answered By: Bethany Marston, Learning Services Coordinator Last Updated: Sep 18, 2018 Views: 1383
What is a MEET session?
A MEET session allows you to study with other students online in a private study room. You can schedule meetings in the online classroom and invite others to join you to study for tests, work through homework concepts, or work on group projects. When you set up a MEET Session, you will be able to chat in a whiteboard but you will also have the option to screen share and utilize audio features. Both options will be outlined in this Answer.
The first time you use this feature, you will need to install Java. You can do this by going to java.com. For additional help installing Java, please contact the Personal Support Center at 866-693-2211. If you are using a PC, Internet Explorer is the preferred browser for utilizing the MEET Session tool. If you are using a Mac, Firefox is the preferred browser. Google Chrome does not support the application.
- Once you are in the Brainfuse platform, click the “Collaboration Tools” tab at the top and select “MEET” or you can select “MEET” under “Collaboration Tools”. Either option will take you to the same place to schedule your MEET session.
Next, invite your participants and pick a time to meet.
- You can select to meet now or a time in the future. You can even add in notes to send to your participant(s) with a description of what you would like to work on when you meet.
- Once you press “send”, a link to enter the online room will be emailed to your participants.
• If you are the moderator (or the person who scheduled the session), you will need to enter the room before it will allow participants to enter.
•To enter the room, click on “My Calendar” on the right-hand side. Press “Enter” to enter the room.
• Reminder: The first time you use this tool, you will need to install Java. You can do this by going to java.com. For additional help installing Java, please contact the Personal Support Center at 866-693-2211. If you are using a PC, Internet Explorer is the preferred browser for utilizing the MEET Session tool. If you are using a Mac, Firefox is the preferred browser. Google Chrome does not support the application.
Features of the whiteboard
•The features of the whiteboard are similar to the ones that online tutors use in the Live Help online tutoring sessions. The best way to get familiar with the tools is by clicking on the icons and testing them out or by using the Live Help tutoring feature and asking an online tutor to give you a virtual tour of the whiteboard and its tools.
•The chat box on the bottom allows you to type to each other.
Featured tools on the left-hand side:
- The pencil icon allows you to free hand to draw a picture.
- The Red “X” on the very bottom left hand side clears the whiteboard.
- T is for “Text”. This icon allows you to type words on the whiteboard.
- Font allows you to change the font style and size.
- The rainbow circle allows you to change the color of your font.
- The clipboard allows you to paste text or an image into the whiteboard.
- If you need to draw a y and x axis or numbers line, you can use the next icon.
- The circle with an arrow is the undo button. It will undo the last thing you added sort of like a back button.
- The Math button has math symbols to make it easy to write math problems on the whiteboard.
Functions on the top:
- Printer icon- you can print the whiteboard using the printer icon.
- Share icon (3 dots that form a < symbol)- you can share a file or document with each other using the share icon.
- Envelope (email) icon- you can email yourself and the participants the chat log by using the email icon.
How do I screen share and utilize audio?
- Whoever set up the MEET session will right click on the student's name and select "Start Desktop Sharing".
- This will launch a separate tool called On Sync. You may need to allow a pop up blocker to continue. On Sync may take a minute to load but when it opens up, you will be both be able to connect your audio and screen share. For more information on using On Sync's tools, click here: https://rasmussen.libanswers.com/faq/90829.
How to exit your MEET session
- Once you are ready to exit the session, you can click on the “End Session X” on the top right corner of your screen.
We hope you enjoy meeting with your classmates in this virtual classroom. It’s helpful to be able to write and draw on a shared whiteboard to work through difficult concepts or to study for tests. Just a friendly reminder, to be sure to always respect and abide by the plagiarism polices of Rasmussen College when studying in groups.
Interested in using other features under the Collaborate tab? Check out a Brainwave!
What is a Brainwave?
Brainwave lets you record a video of your activity on the whiteboard. You can create brainwaves for yourself or send them to others. You may also search the Brainwave archive to see what others have created. Select Brainwave, click on Create a Brainwave and follow the simple instructions.
You will not be able to share your desktop or documents in Brainfuse.